A crown is a sleeve that is placed around a tooth affected by large fractures or cavities or because there is a risk of tooth breakage.
It is the last resort to use when a shim cannot be applied to restore or reinforce a damaged tooth.
In the past, dental crowns were made from gold, porcelain, and metal / porcelain, but more recently technology has provided us with new fabrication techniques and remarkably advantageous materials such as zirconia.
Dental zirconia is a ceramic material whose optical properties simulate those of a natural tooth structure and allow light to pass through it, as occurs in natural teeth. Its advantages are admirable:
- They are lighter than porcelain metal.
- Zirconium is compatible with the human body and does not cause allergies.
- Due to its low thermal conductivity, food consumed at different temperatures does not produce unpleasant sensations.
- The color does not change, as it does with metal (by producing shadows) on the gum or porcelain.
- Over time, the wear of the zirconia is minimal.
- The tooth should be worn less because due to its hardness they can be thinner than porcelain metal crowns
Although the durability of a zirconia crown depends on factors such as oral hygiene, the state of the tooth that supports the crown and the pressure that the cap receives during chewing, among others, it is estimated that under ideal conditions, it can last from 10 – 15 years.
The virtues of zirconia in relation to other materials used for the manufacture of dental crowns presuppose a higher monetary cost that is compensated by the quality and duration of the product.
At Cero Caries Costa Rica we develop a project for an investment plan and collaborative payments that presents advantageous conditions, in terms of prices and quality, in the preparation of dental crowns.
By owning a membership, your immediate family members will be able to enjoy capital contributions to their dental treatments of up to 50%.
Contact us and let’s find a solution to your particular case.